- May 22, 2013
- 1st Announcement.
- May 22, 2013
- WEB open.
- July 5, 2013
- Abstract submission starts.
- July 31, 2013
- 2nd Announcement.
- The deadline of abstract was postponed. The new deadline is August 16, 2013.
- August 27, 2013
- Visa application form was open.
- The web page of open lecture for citizens was linked.
- September 3, 2013
- Notification of abstract acceptance was sent by e-mail.
- September 12, 2013
- Technical Tour (Excursion & NIFS Tour) information was updated.
- September 13, 2013
- The open of registration web site was postponed. It will be open on September 20, 2013.
- September 17, 2013
- A tentative timetable of the conference program was open.
- September 20, 2013
- The registration page was open.
- Octorber 7, 2013
- A timetable of the conference program was fixed.
- Octorber 21, 2013
- Sample format for the manuscript is available.
- Octorber 30, 2013
- List of hotels in Toki and Tajimi cities.
- November 1, 2013
- Final Announcement.
- November 6, 2013
Opening of the online submission site is postponed, because of a technical problem. We will inform you when it is ready.
- November 7, 2013
- On-line paper submission site was open.
- November 21, 2013
- Deadline of paper submission was postponed until December 10.
- December 4, 2013
- Group photo was open. Access code was sent to the participants by email.
- December 11, 2013
- Online paper submission site has closed.
- March 7, 2014
- The papers accepted for Plasma Physics and Fusion Research, special issue on ITC-23 is available on line now here.
23rd International Toki Conference (ITC-23) on
Large-scale Simulation and Fusion Science
November 18-21, 2013
Ceratopia Toki, Toki-city, Gifu, JAPAN
Large-scale Simulation and Fusion Science
November 18-21, 2013
Ceratopia Toki, Toki-city, Gifu, JAPAN
INTRODUCTIONThe International Toki Conference (ITC) is an international conference for the discussion and presentation of research activities related to nuclear fusion and plasma sciences. It has been held annually by the National Institute for Fusion Science in Toki city since 1989.
SCOPENowadays, Petascale supercomputers are being developed towards Exascale systems. Moreover, modeling and simulation techniques which are suitable for exascale computing are also developed energetically. On this background of supercomputer capability, the design of a Demo nuclear fusion reactor and the related numerical simulation research are being promoted intensively. On this occasion, the 23rd International Toki Conference (ITC-23) will focus on Large-scale Simulation and Fusion Science research. The frontiers of simulation science in plasma and fusion research will be the main scope.
- The Leading Edge of Large-scale Numerical Simulation
High Performance Computing, Exascale Computing, Simulation Techniques, Multi-Scale and Integrated Simulation
- Magnetically-Confined Fusion Plasmas
Confinement, Stability, Transport, Heating, Modeling of Core and Edge Plasmas
- Inertially-Confined Fusion Plasmas
Central and Fast Ignition, High Energy Density Physics, and Laser Plasma Interaction
- Fusion Engineering and Fusion Reactor Concepts
Materials, Reactor Design, and Fusion Technologies
- Space and Astrophysical Plasmas
Sun, Jets, Accretion Disks, Magnetosphere, Reconnection, and Space Weather
- Basic Plasma Research and Plasma Applications
Waves and Instabilities, Atomic Processes, Molecular Dynamics, and Plasma Processing
- Imaging Science
Scientific Visualization, Virtual Reality, and Diagnostic Imaging
CONFERENCE DATENovember 18 (Mon.) -- November 21 (Thur.), 2013.
MEETING FORMATThe meeting will consist of invited and contributed oral presentations, and poster sessions. The abstracts will be selected by the Program Committee as either oral or poster presentations. A projector with a laptop personal computer (PC) will be available for oral speakers to present their papers. Power Point or PDF formats are recommended. The official language of the meeting is English.
List of invited and oral talks (PDF file)
List of poster #1 (PDF file)
List of poster #2 (PDF file)
|Nov.18 (Mon)||Nov.19 (Tue)||Nov.20 (Wed)||Nov.21 (Thu)|
9:45 Group Photo
|10:50 Coffee Break||10:40 Coffee Break||
10:50 Poster #1
Coffee Service at Poster
|10:40 Coffee Break|
|12:30 Lunch Break||12:40 Lunch Break||12:40 Lunch Break||12:10 Lunch Break|
|14:00 Excursion & NIFS Tour||
14:00 Poster #2
Coffee Service at Poster
|15:40 Coffee Break||
|18:30 Open Lecture for Citizens||18:30 Banquet|
Oral talk: 30min.
the abstract submission web site by August 16, 2013 (The deadline of abstract was postponed). Abstracts should be sufficiently detailed in describing the aim of the work and the obtained results. The Program Committee will select the papers on the basis of the submitted abstracts.
Abstracts should be prepared by using Microsoft Word or TeX editor. Template and sample files can be downloaded here: (PDF, Word and LaTeX). After you write a document, please create a PDF file of your abstract. The submission web site can upload only PDF files.
Authors will be notified of acceptance of abstracts and assignment of their papers into sessions by
Note: Each person can submit only one paper as a first author. The first author is expected to present the paper at the conference.
Plasma and Fusion Research (PFR) which is an electronic journal published by the Japan Society of Plasma Science and Nuclear Fusion Research. The papers will go through a complete peer-review process. Only the papers reporting original and previously unpublished work will be accepted and published as regular articles in the academic journal, PFR. Invited speakers who present a talk reviewing previous works at the conference may be suggested by the editorial board to submit a paper in the category of "Overview articles". The maximum length of the manuscript is 8 pages for Invited talks, and 4 pages for Contributed papers in the PFR format. A submission fee (Article charge: 3,000 JPY + Page charge: 5,000 JPY/page) is required for publication. The submission fee and reprint fee are NOT included in the registration fee.
Note: The first author of the proceedings paper is expected to be the same as the one on the presentation at the conference.
When you use the PERAS system for the first time, please create your new account. If you have your own account on PFR and forget your password, go to "Forgotten password" to reset your password. The manuscript must start with a cover page, included in the template, in order to assign your submission to the ITC-23 Proceedings.
Sample format for the manucript with cover page is available here (Microsoft Word, LaTeX (tar.gz)).
When submitting a manuscript, please select "Regular Article" for the type of paper, unless you are suggested for another type of paper by the Editor. If you have multimedia files to be accompanied, please contact the editorial board ().
We have terminated receiving new paper submission for PFR special issue of ITC-23 on Dec. 10.
If you could not finish writing a manuscript but wish to submit a paper concerning your presentation at ITC-23, we recommend to submit your manuscript to Plasma and Fusion Research as a regular article. There is no difference in page charge and referring process between the special issue and regular article of PFR other than the page limitation for the former. If you prepare a manuscript for PFR, please use the PFR style format instead of the style format for ITC-23 papers.
- Access to all sessions of the scientific program
- An abstract booklet
- Coffee break refreshments
- Conference banquet
The principal author must be a conference registrant. All registrations (other than abstract submission) should be made on-line via the conference web site. For the registration process, login (by creating first an account if you haven't created one yet) and go to "Registration" link on this site. Procedure of registration and payment is as follows:
- In the page of Registration Form: Select your title, check if you are a student, check if you belong to NIFS, fill out the information, check if you will join the technical tour, then click `Next' to proceed.
- In the page of Registration Confirmation: Confirm the information that you input. If you want to modify, click `Back'. Otherwise, please click `OK. Proceed Payment'.
- In the page of Payment: The registration fee must be paid by credit card or with PayPal account. In the Payment page, select the method.
- By credit card: If you want to pay by credit card, click `Credit card' in the Payment page. After that, PayPal web page for payment of ITC-23 registration fee is open (The name of merchant is `核融合科学研究所ITC23副所長金子修' (in Japanese)). You can find your order summary in the left sidebar, and check it. If the column of `Pay with my PayPal account' is shown in the right sidebar named as `Choose a way to pay', click `Don't have a PayPal account?'. After the column of `Pay with a debit or credit card' is open, input the information about your card, name, and so on, in the right sidebar, and click `Review and Continue' button. After that, follow the instructions by PayPal.
- With your PayPal account: If you want to pay with your PayPal account, click the `PayPal' in the Payment page. After that, PayPal web page for payment of ITC-23 registration fee is open (The name of merchant is`核融合科学研究所ITC23副所長金子修' (in Japanese)). You can find your order summary in the left sidebar, and check it.If the column of `Pay with a debit or credit card' is shown in the right sidebar named as `Choose a way to pay', click `Pay with my PayPal account'. After the column of `Pay with your PayPal account' is open, input your email address and PayPal password, and follow the instructions by PayPal.
- Depending on your computer environments (OS, browser and so on) and/or your county, PayPal may show the column of `Create a PayPal account', in which it encourages you to make a PayPal account, instead of showing the column of `Pay with a debit or credit card ', when you select the credit card payment. We also recommend making a PayPal account and paying the fee with your account. If you do not want to make the account, please contact LOC by email.
- When your credit card is not accepted by PayPal for the credit card payment, we recommend making a PayPal account and paying the fee with your PayPal account. If you do not want to make the account, please contact LOC by email.
Note: LOC of ITC-23 uses PayPal for credit card registration and payments. You need to register your credit card information for the payments only in the PayPal web page. LOC of ITC-23 does not deal with and store your credit card information at all.
Note: After finishing your payment in the PayPal web page, PayPal will send you the email whose subject is `核融合科学研究所ITC23副所長金子修様へのお支払いのご連絡' (in Japanese). This email will tell you that your payment to ITC-23 finished.
*Cancellation policy: All refund/cancellation including the change of total amount by changing a number of accompanying persons requests must be sent in writing and received by October 4, 2013. No refunds (including the reduction of a number of the accompanying persons ) will be provided after this date. Please submit all cancellation/refund requests to .
Kokeizan Eihoji Temple and Kobei-gama, a histric pottery, for sightseeng. Then, the tour will visit NIFS. The world’s largest superconducting device, the Large Helical Device (LHD) and other facilities will be introduced. After leaving NIFS, participants will be brought to hotels in Toki and Tajimi.
- Time schedule -
Date Tuesday, November 19, 2013
14:00 Cerapotia Toki
14:30 Kokeizan Eihoji Temple
19:00 Hotels in Toki and Tajimi
Please register for the tour at the reception desk in the conference site, if you have not done online. The admission fee for the museum at Kobei-gama (240 yen) will be collected
*Maximum 100 people.
the web site. Specific information such as directions can be obtained at the link for each hotel. Participants must make their reservations with the hotels directly by Internet, telephone or FAX. *Note: The transportation between the hotels and the conference site will be the responsibility of the participants.
Word and PDF). Please fill it out and send it to .
|Start of on-line abstract submission:||July 5, 2013|
|Deadline for abstract submission:|
|Notification of abstract acceptance:|
|Deadline for request of official documents required for visa:|
|Deadline for registration:||October 4, 2013|
|Online paper submission:|
|Conference:||November 18 - 21, 2013|
|A. Komori (Japan, Chair)||A. Ando (Japan)||H. Azechi (Japan)|
|B. Blackwell (Australia)||A. Fukuyama (Japan)||X. Garbet (France)|
|R. Horiuchi (Japan)||M. Ichimura (Japan)||K. Ida (Japan)|
|S. Imagawa (Japan)||S. Ishiguro (Japan)||O. Kaneko (Japan)|
|T. Klinger (Germany)||L.M. Kovrizhnykh (Russia)||G.S. Lee (Korea)|
|T. Mitarai (Japan)||T. Mito (Japan)||M. Mori (Japan)|
|T. Muroga (Japan)||T. Mutoh (Japan)||K. Nishimura (Japan)|
|Y. Ogawa (Japan)||N. Ohno (Japan)||A. Sagara (Japan)|
|F. Sano (Japan)||H. Sugama (Japan)||Y. Takeiri (Japan)|
|M. Tendler (Sweden)||F.L. Waelbroeck (USA)||H. Yamada (Japan)|
|S.-P. Zhu (China)||H. Zushi (Japan)|
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE
|Y. Ohsawa (Japan, Chair)||V.S. Chan (USA.)||L. Chen (USA.)|
|S. Cowley (UK)||M. Den (Japan)||J.Q. Dong (China)|
|X. Garbet (France)||M. Hole (Australia)||K. Ida (Japan)|
|S. Ishiguro (Japan)||A. Kageyama (Japan)||Y. Kamada (Japan)|
|L.M. Kovrizhnykh (Russia)||K. Kusano (Japan)||H.J. Lee (Korea)|
|S. Masamune (Japan)||T. Ozeki (Japan)||S. Saito (Japan)|
|A. Sen (India)||H. Sugama (Japan)||W. Tang (USA.)|
|K. Tomisaka (Japan)||M. Yagi (Japan)||H. Yamada (Japan)|
|Z. Yoshida (Japan)||S.-P. Zhu (China)|
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE (LOC)
|R. Horiuchi (Chair)||H. Nakamura (Scientific Secretary)||M. Asai|
|H. Hagiwara||H. Hasegawa||K. Ichiguchi|
|S. Ishiguro||R. Ishizaki||A. Ishizawa|
|A. Ito||A.M. Ito||K. Itoh|
|R. Kanno||D. Kato||G. Kawamura|
|K. Kuriki||H. Miura||N. Mizuguchi|
|S. Moriuchi||N. Nakajima||H. Nakanishi|
|M. Nunami||H. Ohtani||H. Sakagami|
|S. Satake||M. Sato||R. Seki|
|H. Sekiguchi||M.M. Skoric||H. Sugama|
|Y. Suzuki||A. Takayama||T. Taki|
|S. Toda||Y. Todo||M. Ukai|
|S. Usami||K. Watanabe||T.-H. Watanabe|
|S. Yamada||T. Yamamoto||M. Yokoyama|
National Institute for Fusion Science
322-6 Oroshi-cho, Toki 509-5292, Japan